Make your own free website on Tripod.com

Hobbycraft 1:48 Sea Fury F.B MkII

Model by: Andrew Wood

-----------

The kit

the kit when I first opened it I thought looked a bite easy until I read the instructions.  The kit supplied decals for 2 aircraft at first I chose to

do the RAF Korean war plane but later decided to make it Australian.

History

The sea fury was the fastest piston-engine fighter to serve with commonwealth air forces. The sea fury was to replace the RN's carrier borne

fighters although they were also used as land based planes. The first sea furies were delivered to the RAF and RN in mid 1947.From then they were

distributed to all of the of the commonwealth air forces. By the onset of the Korean war many of the commonwealth air forces helped support the

British and Americans in Korea. The sea fury served as a ground attack aircraft giving decisive support to the British, American and south Korean

troops. Although a ground attack aircraft it was a sea fury of No.802 squadron Fleet Air Arm that shot down the first Mig 15 over Korean waters in

1952.

Instructions

the instructions were an A4 fold out booklet with history and decal

reference.

Construction of the kit

as always you start off with the cockpit. I painted the cockpit interior with RAF interior green and the instrument panel black with dry brushed silver

knobs and switches. after completing the cockpit and its components I then went on to putting the fuselage halves together. also putting in the tail

wheel, wheel well. at the same time I constructed the wings. the wings were a 3 part set with the wheel wells and oil cooler were added to the wing

and then glued. once the glue had dried I then placed the rudder and tail planes to the tail. then game the wing to fuselage assembly. they fitted

perfectly and only a little putty was needed although I put to much on). then came the great clean up. the joins on the wings and fuselage left no gaps

and needed little sanding to get rid of the seams. then came the filling part. the only places that needed putty was the wing root and underneath where

the wing meet the fuselage, the tail planes and a little on the nose. once the sanding was finally finished then came the paint job. the underside was sky

as were all sea furies of the Australian air force.  The paint didn't cover that well the first 2 coats but then started to cover the next coat. when I

painted the under side was completed, the topside was painted in dark sea gray. so the whole thing was masked except the parts that needed to be

painted. it only took 2 coats to be covered. then once the paint had dried and the masking tape taken off the model started to look like the real

thing's then applied the decals, but I forgot to paint the exhaust stacks and the area around was masked and then sprayed. now came the landing

gear. the alignment was already molded into the landing gear so the only thing to worry about was the the aligning of the 2 well struts together and

the strut inline with the wing. once dry the wheel covers and wheels were put into place. the spinner and props were all that was left I made the

spinner and to place the spinner on the model I needed 2 bits of brass tube which was cut into about 2 inches and glued to the spinner and model so

that when the spinner was put on it could slide into the other. after the props where placed in the spinner all

that was left was to paint the canopy and engine. the engine was a simple ring with details which i painted black and dry brushed the details

silver. the canopy was a bit tricky but after 3 goes I managed to get a nice straight lines on the canopy. I glued the remaining parts on the model and it

is now complete with a diorama board.

Accuracy

the kit looks alright to me.

Colour options

there was only one colour option the one I did my model in.

Decals

the decals I used from the kit were a bit brittle if not handled

carefully. and the air force insignias came from another kit and slide on with

ease. the only problem was the navy decal on the under side which I broke up

in 3 pieces but still managed to get the decal on.

RATING=8/10

conclusion and recommendation

this was an alright kit it wasn't great quality but good none the less. this

kit can be ordered from retailers or bought from hobby shops for around

$20(AUS).

I would recommend this kit for beginners and up.

seafury2.JPG (96896 bytes)  seafury3.JPG (113295 bytes)  seafury4.JPG (120533 bytes)

Home

 

Copyright 2000-2001  Model Hangar  all rights reserved. This website is owned and maintained by Anthony Manzoli